Image Map

Friday, March 28, 2014

What College Really Taught Me.

I am officially have less than 60 days until I will be rocking the cap and gown and getting my undergraduate! this is absolutely insane, and at times I never thought this day would come. So in honor of my almost college graduation, I will tell you what college really taught me:

  1. They say you get to pick 2 out of 3 when it comes to grades, sleep, and social life. They weren't kidding. However, you can be about average and manage all 3. Or to quote my favorite man, Ron Swanson, "never half ass two things, whole ass one thing."
  2. It is perfectly normal to change your major.
  3. Use a planner. But really. They're amazing. mine has everything in it. Literally EVERYTHING.
  4. Get the crazy out now. In the past four years I have: gone on a spontaneous road trip, gotten 4 tattoos, 9 piercings, and dyed my hair too many times to count. I also encourage you to explore, make out with a random, stay out a little too late, get that late night chinese food. (just please make sure you're safe while partaking in late night activities, I do not endorse nor encourage illicit or illegal activities)
  5. Call home. and often. since moving away, my mom has become my best friend. Don't forget that as we're growing up, they're getting older too. 
  6. Get creative in the cafeteria. If you learn how to make a bomb salad or mix up the pasta, you will not only actually enjoy eating there, but your friends will always be asking you to make them food. It's like you're a local food guru.
  7. That being said, learn to cook on your own. No, mac and cheese and frozen meals/pizza don't count. Learn how to cook a full meal from scratch. You'll feel awesome.
  8. College taught me how to have conversations. No one wants to talk to that person at the party that starts every conversation with "what major are you?" Excuse me, it is Saturday night, I have a beer in my hand, the last thing I want to talk about is class. You want to talk Harry Potter or this weeks episode of Once Upon A Time, cool. I can work with that.
  9. Not everyone is your friend. SAY WHAAAA?! That's right, you heard me. I PROMISE you will not like everyone at your school, nor will everyone at your school like you. Its just a fact. The same goes for professors. Don't worry about it. Just keep doin' you and keep the ones who do like how weird you are close. Those are the only people that matter.
    Like these goons, who have been the besest since day 1
  10. But most of all, don't blink. These 4 (or 5 or 6) years go faster than you could ever imagine, and they truly are the best years of your life. You learn more about yourself, life and the world in college than you will anywhere else. Don't take a single moment for granted. 
Is there anything you would add to the list? or any advice for a soon to be college grad?

 photo signature-1.png

No comments:

Post a Comment