Saturday, July 26, 2014

How To: Conquer a First Date

Hello blogtopia! It's been a while. Long story short, my brand new computer decided to stop working, so I now have a brand new brand new computer. Hopefully this piece of technology lasts longer!

So lets get down to the meat of it: I decided to go with a little DIY on how I get ready for a first date. both physically and mentally.

First, I like to give myself a little pep talk in the mirror. It consists a lot of DAMN you look good. And a little of alright Amanda, try to be cute and flirty and not totally socially awkward for like 80% of the date. Whatever gets you ready, do that.

Post pep talk, its time to get ready. I decided to go with my standard I-want-to-look-cute-but-not-like-I'm-trying-TOO-hard look. So for starters, I curled my hair. I put my hair in two pig tails. Starting with one side I grab chunks and wrap it around my curling iron - you can also use a wand. (I recommend a 1.25" barrel.)


Do this to both sides of your head and spray with hairspray. I also like to twist all my curls together to hold the curl better (sidenote: I highly recommend aussie sprunch. It really holds the curls without the crunchy feel of hairspray. LOVE IT) . Then let it set while we do our make up.


Before we move on to make up, turn on a straightener and get that heating up while we work the make up magic. So, moving on to my face - my not so strong suite. I'm a minimalist when it comes to make up. I don't understand a lot of make up terminology or purpose to a lot of products, so I stick to the basics: powder foundation, eye liner, mascara, eye shadow. Like I said, minimalist.
So I start with my foundation, just using a powder brush to even out my skin tone without looking like I frosted my face. (shameless plug: L'Oreal true match powder is AWESOME! It doesn't look cakey at all and blends really well and makes my skin look pretty. shameless plug over.)


Now its time for the eyes. Everyone has their own preference of how they like to line their lids. I am no expert so I'm going to keep it simple. I line my entire bottom lid and for my top lid, I line it completely right along the lash line very lightly, then make a thicker line on the top side of my lash line.

Eye shadow. I will leave a disclaimer here I literally just started wearing eye shadow approximately 6 months ago. With that said, I learned everything I know from pinterest. (and that holds true for about 95% of this blog post. The other 5% is because I get bored and play with my hair.) ANYWAYS I keep it basic with the shadow.

If you can follow, top of the lid is my light beigey tan subtlely shiny shadow. Then I do my inside lid with a reddish brown mahogany like shadow. than I do the outside with a dark brown. Blend the two lower lid colors together and BAM. Once the shadow is in place, I hit the lashes. Take your mascara of choice (I personally LOVE covergirl.) and lengthen those sexy lashes.

Remember about 20 minutes ago when we curled our hair? Let's go back to our luscious and now curly locks. First, take the hair out of the pig tails (its not going to look good, I promise it will later though) and shake it out. Pull apart the curls a little bit and move it around at the roots. If you have creases from the pig tails or if you have bangs like I do, use your straightener to get rid of the lines and style your bangs.


There's just one last thing to do before we are 100% date ready: get dressed. I chose a simple outfit. A nice summery shirt, cropped skinny jeans, and my blinged out gladiators.


Also, don't forget to brush your teeth, put on deodorant, and spray a little perfume/body spray. You want to smell good, but you don't want to gas out your date with your scent.



Needless to say, I don't know if it was the outfit or my sparkling personality, but I rocked this date. No more first date jitters for this girl, that's for sure!




 photo signature-1.png

2 comments:

  1. This is literally the best post you have ever written. Its so well put together, just like your look! You look amazing Amanda & I just know that fate of yours will fall in love.

    xo. Kailagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous! I adore the curls! I wish mine would do that! (It took 3 times for a perm to take in my hair!). I don't think I ever paid that much attention to a first date. Maybe that's why I had so many of them? Luckily my husband stuck around after the first one! lol Glad your date went well! Keeping fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete